What is Make-Up Time in Turkey ?
As far as it can be seen in working life, in case of a repair that needs to be done immediately, or if the working days before or after national holidays and general holidays are holidayed, or if the employee requests leave from the employer for a job that needs to be seen, the working time at the workplace is significantly reduced or the work stops completely. This situation also reduces the worker’s earnings. In these cases, compensatory work has been established with Article 64 of the Labour Law No. 4857. Article 7 of the regulation on working hours also seems to be related to this issue.
According to the provision of this article, in order to be able to perform compensatory work, it is necessary that the work in the workplace is significantly reduced or the work is completely suspended or the employee is given leave upon the request of the employee. The factor that significantly reduces or completely stops the working time must arise for a compulsory reason, or the general holiday days must be extended before or after or there must be a similar mild reason. Otherwise, the last subparagraphs of Articles 24 and 25 of the Labour Law or the Additional Article 2 of the Unemployment Insurance Law No. 4447 regulating short-time working and short-time working allowance may be applied.
It is necessary to pay attention to the following points in the compensatory work to be carried out by determining in this way:
- It should not exceed the maximum daily working time (11 hours).
- It should last a maximum of 3 hours per day. Accordingly, if compensatory work is to be carried out and 7.5 hours are worked at the workplace, the working time for that day can be 10.5 hours at most.
- Again, rest breaks should be given between normal work and compensatory work.
- Compensatory work cannot be done on holidays.
- According to Article 7 of the Regulation, compensatory work shall be carried out within 2 months following the disappearance of the compelling reason that caused it and the resumption of normal work.